Friday 10 July 2015

5th Birthday - The Gruffalo!



This was a HARD cake. The head fell off while I was icing it - thank goodness I caught it and minimal damage was done to the cake (although my nerves were a different story!)
His head is made out of rice krispie square, but I still had a fair bit to learn about building cakes vertically! However, he stayed intact for the birthday girl, and she was over the moon. :) 
I had a LOT of fun with the food.
These are the goodie bags:
 
 
Owl Ice Cream (chocolate ice cream sweets)
 
 
Poisonous Warts were handpicked blue, green and yellow mini smarties. Mouse droppings were raisins covered in chocolate, and I didn't want scrambled snake as they had that for the party food so I just wrote "And away snake slid..." for the gummy worms. Although there wasn't a huge amount in the goodie bags, the kids loved the theme!
 
 
 Instead of a traditional piñata I made a pull string one, which I had never done before. I found instructions on Pinterest somewhere, but it's actually incredibly simple to make and doesn't involve any paper machè!

 
But the party food... ahh the party food was my favourite bit!

 
 Chocolate rice krispie treats became Knobbly Knees.
Pizza - Roasted fox!
Mini sausages became Gruffalo Toes
 
 
We had grapes that were Poisonous Warts
Quavers were Terrible Tusks
Oranges with eyeballs drawn on the peel, for Orange Eyes
Cheese Cubes became Terrible Teeth
I made some ladybird crackers too for my little ladybird girl, and rolled up wraps with ham in them and toothpicked to a piece of cheesestring became snails - still on the forest theme!

 
We had some jelly with gummy worms for Scrambled Snake


And the favourite was Gruffalo Crumble - a mix of chocolate breakfast cereals and other chocolate goodies, and broken up biscuits!
 
 
The little birthday girl! <3



No comments:

Post a Comment